Time & Location
October & November 2018
Local BSCU Communities
About The Event
Hello and welcome to the 2018-19 BSCU Village,
Over the last 3 years, the BSCU has made it a point to advocate for students of color both in our local communities and also in Sacramento at our State Capitol. Currently in the State of California, African and African American students are the lowest performing sub-group per State reports ( cde.gov) and there is a need for additional supports for our students and the BSCU Day of Activism is meant to shine a light on that need, by having our student members, with the support of their Advisors, to meet with their local educational leaders and have a discussion on this issue.
The 2018-19 Day of Activism packet (23-pages).
Don’t let the number scare you, many are for you to reference and then leave behind with your Administration. There is NOTHING more powerful that students who bring documented proof to support their requests and we have provided this for you. There is a “Flow of Meeting” sheet included with directions to help guide the conversation.
Included in packet:
– Board Meeting Script – To be used at local Board Meetings during public comments
– Superintendent Script – To be used during meeting with your Superintendent or Board Member (optional)
– Flow of Meeting Form – To assist you with the meeting
– BSCU 1-pager – Review and leave behind
– PPT – Dr. Rex Fortune – Review and reference data & concerns during conversation / Leave behind at end of conversation
– PPT – Policy Change – Low Performing Student Block Grant – Review and reference
We are asking that our members engage this advocacy project during the months of October & November and report back to our team on your experience. In case you were not aware, most school districts begin their Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) meetings in December and January, so this conversation will be a great pre-cursor to those actions. If you have questions, please send those to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can leave a voice message at (916)794-2728 and a BSCU Leadership team member will return your call.
Again, welcome to the BSCU Family and we look forward to hearing from you and your students.
BSCU… Empowering and Educating Future Leaders!
Day of Activism
Time & Location